A delicious remake of the classic summer campfire flavors in this Salted Chocolate S’mores Tart with Toasted Marshmallow Meringue recipe, featuring a graham cracker crust, salted chocolate filling, and a topped with toasted marshmallow meringue.
If you love S’mores this Chocolate S’mores Tart takes them to a whole new level. Once upon a time, I made a S’mores Waffle Sandwich that became one of my most popular posts. This summer it was time to try another version of S’mores.
I made a salted chocolate ganache and topped with a toasted marshmallow meringue. It takes the simple S’mores of our childhood and creates a sophisticated dessert. No one will be able to resist a bite of this.
How to Make a Chocolate S’mores Tart
You start by making the graham cracker crust. Place the graham crackers, brown sugar and salt in the processor. Pulse a minute and then pour in the melted butter. Using a food processor the crust comes together in minutes. Use a tart pan with a removable bottom. You can easily remove and place on a cake stand or serving platter.
When you place the graham cracker crust in the tart using a flat bottomed measuring cup to pack it down and create a uniform bottom.
While the tart shell is baking start on the ganache. I used a mixture of dark chocolate and milk chocolate. Stir until the chocolate ganache is smooth and shiny. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and let cool.
How To Make Homemade Marshmallow Meringue
Don’t be scared of making marshmallow meringue. If you follow the steps and have a thermometer everything will work out. You can crinkle foil and place in the bottom of the saucepan BEFORE putting in the water to support the mixing bowl.
Toast the meringue to give finish off the tart. Don’t you love the swirls of dark and lighter peaks, it looks so dramatic. At home I use a small kitchen torch but you can always finish off under the broiler, just keep watching or you will end up with a very torched top.
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 –1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Salted Chocolate Ganache filling:
- 1 –1/4 cups heavy cream
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, 60-70% cacao, chopped
- 4 oz milk chocolate chips?1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Coarse sea salt
Toasted Marshmallow Meringue
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 –2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Make the graham cracker crust:
- Preheat the oven to 375?.
- Place the graham crumbs, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor and pulse. Drizzle in the melted butter and pulse a few times until well-combined.
- Spoon the crumbs into a 9-inch tart pan, preferably with a removable bottom. Press firmly into an even layer along the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Place on a rimmed sheet plan. Bake for 5-7 minutes, until the crust is golden and set. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a baking rack.
Make the dark chocolate ganache filling:
- Add the cream to a large, heavy-bottomed sauce pot over medium heat. Bring just to a simmer, then remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted, and the ganache is smooth and shiny. Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the ganache into the cooled graham cracker crust and smooth out the top with an offset spatula. Gently tap the bottom once or twice against the counter to release any air bubbles. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Let cool on a baking rack until set, about 2 hours, or about an hour in the refrigerator. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Make the marshmallow meringue:
- Pour 1-1/2 inches of water in to a 3-quart pot, and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Combine the egg whites, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer and place over the water. Working constantly, stir and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula until the mixture is thin and foamy, and reaches 175?. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer the bowl to a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Starting on low speed and working up to high speed, beat until the meringue is light and glossy with stiff peaks, about 5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla. Immediately add to the s’mores tart.
Assemble the s’mores tart:
- Spoon the marshmallow meringue over the chilled ganache, adding swirls with a flexible or offset spatula. Place on sheet pan and carefully use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallow meringue.
- Alternatively, place on a pan on the middle rack of the oven and broil for 1-2 minutes, until the meringue is golden and toasted. Watch it like a hawk to be sure it doesn’t burn too quickly!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1333Total Fat: 63gSaturated Fat: 36gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 397mgCarbohydrates: 179gFiber: 13gSugar: 137gProtein: 19g