Well, I have a little gift to you this Christmas, Red Velvet Cranberry Trifle, the best dessert to bring to your holiday get togethers.
Christmas is this week. I blinked and 2015 is almost over. Are you feeling the same way?
Red Velvet Cranberry Trifle
This Red Velvet Cranberry Trifle is one of my fav holiday recipes at the cooking school. You can never go wrong with red velvet but this is a whole other level because it has sparkly sugared cranberries. They are bling to any dessert but this is the perfect marriage of flavors.
You could make a regular trifle to serve at your party but personally I love serving them in mason jars. I bake the red velvet cake in mini muffin tins making it easy to assemble. The day before you want to serve make the sugared cranberries and refrigerate. Roll in sugar right before serving. They make the dessert stand out, give it a sparkly finish and crunchy texture.
- 3 1/2 cups frozen or fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 8-ounce tub mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Red velvet cake
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Garnishes: fresh rosemary sprigs, white chocolate curls
- Bring first 3 ingredients to a simmer in a saucepan, and cook, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until sugar dissolves and orange juice is reduced by half.
- Remove from heat, and cool 15 minutes. Cover and chill until ready to use, or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 4 days.
Prepare whipped layer:
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, mascarpone and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and slowly pour in whipping cream. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft whipped cream.
- Cut red velvet cake into 1-inch cubes. Layer one-third cake cubes in a 2.5-qt. trifle dish. Top with one-third each orange marscarpone cream, cranberry mixture, and whipped cream. Repeat layers twice. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 24 hours.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Red Velvet Love
If you love all things Red Velvet, here are a few other recipes to try out: