The last few weeks I have seen many people making bucket lists for the summer and that got me thinking about what mine might be. Children look forward and count the days until summer vacation. My niece and nephew know exactly how many days of school they have left. They have this expectation for what summer will hold. It is a magical time as a child.
Growing up we can lose that magical feeling of summer unless we are intentional about it. So, I started a list and dreamed a bit with friends at dinner Friday night. We thought of fun things we might do. If you don’t plan, it will just pass by.
Memorial Day kicks off the summer and one of the goals I have this year is to better my grilling skills. I took my first step creating a quick and easy Hawaiian Barbecue Sauce for chicken. Using a store-bought sauce I doctored it up with garlic, ginger, pineapple and dark rum. I threw in a bit of brown sugar to sweeten it up and take the edge off the heat. In just 5 minutes I turned a bottled jar of barbecue sauce into a tangy homemade sauce.
Here are a few of the things on my Summer 2012 Bucket List.
• Learn to be a grill master
• Make pasta from scratch
• Perfect my pizza dough
• Have a beach weekend vacation
• Go to the Hollywood Bowl
• Take niece to Color Me Mine
• Take nephew to Hollywood for birthday
• Take nephew on his birthday adventure
• Summer sunday suppers
• Visit a CSA farm
What about you – what is on your bucket list for the summer? Let’s compare!
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 boneless, skinless breasts of chicken
- Heat medium saucepan with 2 tablespoons canola or coconut oil. Place garlic and ginger in the pan and saute for 1 minute. Add barbecue sauce, rum and brown sugar. Cook for 5 minutes to thicken and remove from heat.
- Preheat grill or grill pan.
- Lightly salt and pepper chicken breasts.
5 Weight Watcher Plus points
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 2.7gUnsaturated Fat: 0g