These Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes are like your favorite Christmas coffee drink in cupcake form.
Today is a wonderful day! I completed the last of 16 classes in less than a month and have one week off for my Christmas holiday. To celebrate I baked you a batch of Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes. This year Gingerbread was a popular dish to bake in our culinary team building classes. I forgot how much I loved the spicy taste of homemade gingerbread.
About halfway through the month, I dreamed this recipe up. I added a shot of espresso, turned the cake into cupcakes, and made a creamy buttercream.
How to Sugar Cranberries
The final touch is a sugared cranberry. Have you made these yet? They are delicious and make a pretty topping to the cupcake.
Place 1 cup cranberries, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup of water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the sugar has dissolved pull of the heat and let cool. Place in the refrigerator overnight or until you are ready to serve. Roll them in fine sugar and place them on top of the cupcake. You can roll in sugar and place on a parchment-lined tray until ready to serve.
This should be done just prior to serving because the cranberries might bleed onto the frosting a bit!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 shot espresso or strong coffee
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 stick butter, 4 ounces softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Suguared Cranberries
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed until creamy. Beat in the egg until combined, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Beat in the milk, molasses, and vanilla on medium speed. Mixture will be piecey and not fully combined. That's ok.
- In a medium bowl, toss the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice together until combined. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full, no more. Bake for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Latte Buttercream
- Mix together butter and powdered sugar in a standing mixer. Add vanilla and 1/3 of cream and mix. Add more cream until you get a stiff buttercream. Place in a piping bag with desired tip.
- Sugared Cranberries
- Place ingredients into saucepan over medium heat. When sugar as dissolved remove from heat and let cool. Place in refrigerator overnight. When ready to serve roll in fine white sugar.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g