These zesty roasted sweet potato tacos are made with red peppers, poblano peppers, shallots, lime crema, and your choice of toppings. They’re simple to make, naturally gluten-free and vegetarian, and absolutely delicious!
Where are my taco lovers? These Sweet Potato tacos are a weekly staple at my house. They are perfect for Taco Tuesday or Meatless Mondays! I created these after having a similar version at my friend’s birthday party at SOL Cucina.
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
- The secret is using precisely roasted sweet potato cubes that are creamy and sweet on the inside and crisp and delicious on the outside. Following are some tips for roasting sweet potatoes to perfection:
- Heat over to 400° F.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into cubes. This is the most time-consuming task for this recipe. Get those cubes nice and tiny, please. Additionally, sweet potato cubes roast more quickly the smaller they are cut.
- Place them on a baking sheet, toss with olive oil, then sprinkle some homemade taco seasoning on top and toss again.
- Roast until they are soft on the inside and the outside is a touch crunchy. After 20 minutes, check to see if they are done.
How to Make These Tacos
Here’s a basic overview of how to make these sweet potato tacos (detailed instructions in the recipe below):
- Make the roasted sweet potatoes, peppers, and shallots. Toss diced sweet potatoes with oil, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper, and roast until tender.
- Make the lime crema (optional). Whisk the crema ingredients together until combined.
- Heat the tortillas. Cook them over an open flame or in a cast iron skillet.
- Assemble the tacos. Then once everything is cooked and ready to go, fill each tortilla with, sweet potatoes, peppers, shallots, and any of your desired toppings.
- Serve. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Tacos
To make these roasted sweet potato tacos, you will need the following ingredients (amounts listed in the recipe below):
- Sweet potatoes: Diced into 1/2-inch cubes for faster roasting. I peel the potatoes before dicing.
- Peppers: Red peppers and poblano peppers
- Taco seasoning, salt, and pepper: To season the sweet potatoes. I used my favorite homemade taco seasoning, but store-bought seasoning works great too.
- Corn Tortillas: I prefer corn tortillas which makes them gluten-free but you could use flour or your other favorite tortilla.
- Shallots: Roast or fry for a crispy topping.
- Toppings: I recommend a generous sprinkle of finely-chopped fresh cilantro and either fresh lime wedges (for a quick meal and to make these vegan tacos) or lime crema (easy to make with a quick blend of plain greek yogurt, lime juice, 1/2 chipotle pepper, and salt). Other optional toppings could include red cabbage, crumbled queso fresco, sliced jalapenos, pickled red onions, pico de gallo, salsa, or anything else that sounds good!
These vegetarian roasted sweet potato tacos are made with zesty sweet potatoes, red peppers, poblano peppers, shallots and your choice of toppings. See the notes above for possible ingredient variations.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes (also peeled, if desired)
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chile lime seasoning
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- 12 small corn tortillas or flour tortillas
- toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges and/or chipotle lime crema (see below)
- Make the roasted sweet potatoes. Heat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, toss the sweet potatoes, peppers and shallots with the oil, taco seasoning, and a pinch of salt and black pepper until combined. Spread the vegetables out on the prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 25-35 minutes — flipping once halfway through, until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- (Optional) Make the lime crema. Whisk the crema ingredients (see below) together until combined.
- Assemble the tacos. Once everything is cooked and ready to go, fill each tortilla with a sweet potatoes, red and poblano peppers, shallots, and any of your desired toppings.
- Serve. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Lime crema instructions: Whisk together 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, juice of 1 lime, 1 teaspoon of adobe sauce from can of chipotle chiles, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and a pinch of salt.
Storage instructions: Any leftover ingredients can be refrigerated in food storage containers for up to 3 days.
Keywords: tacos, taco tuesday, vegetarian, gluten free,