It is 2014 and I couldn’t be happier.
Do you make resolutions? How about one word for the year? That is my approach. My One Simple Word for 2014 is Savor. I want to savor every area of my life more than I did in 2013. I will be adding Savor Saturdays this year. Look for the first one this week.
December was a month of cooking classes, team building events and private parties. I was thankful to end my first year in business busy and where I love to be, in the kitchen.
One of my private classes was for a group of vegetarians and one paleo eater. That was a challenge! I was inspired to add this salad to the menu. Delicato squash is one of the two squashes that don’t have to be peeled, making them easy to slice and get in the oven.
The salad has pomegranate arils, pumpkin spiced nuts and goat cheese on a bed of arugula. The dressing is a blend of maple and pomegranate vinegar. It dresses the salad with a tangy sweetness.What is on your plate for 2014? Do you chose a word? I would love to hear about it in the comments.
Roasted Delicata Squash and Pomegranate Salad
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 acorn squash sliced in 1/2-inch thick rounds and seeds removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole pecans chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 pomegranate arils removed
- 3 to 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate vinegar
- 1 teaspoon real maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Brush the cut sides of the squash with 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil and season the cavities with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the brown sugar. Place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes, until tender.
- Heat a small saucepan over low heat and add the pecans. Toast until they are slightly golden and fragrant, stirring and shaking the pan as they toast, for about 5 minutes. Toss them with the pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix together the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Add the arugula to a large bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add in the avocado, pomegranate arils, pecans and squash pieces. Cover in the pomegranate dressing.