Day 6: Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
Food can be redemptive physically. The right foods fuel our body. They have the power to heal. Many of my friends are vegetarians or following a gluten free diet. These diets have changed their lives. Meatless Monday’s are a nice way to cut out meat and explore new dishes. I want to be able to cook up a meal friends and family following a special diet.
These Vegetarian Sloppy Joe Tacos are a riff on a treasured Liefeld family meal. My mom has made them for as long as I can remember. Her recipe is regularly requested by my niece and nephew. This Vegetarian Sloppy Joe Taco gets protein from beans and seasoning from Old El Paso Seasoning. Their Old El Paso® Hard and Soft Shell Dinner Kit provides the foundation to build a quick and easy dinner in less than 30 minutes.
Start with fresh peppers, tomatoes, garlic and onions.
Saute for 7 to 8 minutes.
Add in the beans, taco sauce, seasoning packet, ketcup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar.
Simmer for a few minutes.
Stir in the lime juice.
Serve topped with chopped lettuce and salsa in taco shells. Go over and visit Old El Paso® to discover many new ideas for your family meals.
I was compensated by Old El Paso® to develop a series of recipes. Opinions are 100% mine.
Vegetarian Sloppy Joe Tacos
Celebrate taco tuesday with these vegetarian sloppy joe tacos.
- 6 Old El Paso Hard Taco Shells
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 can Old El Paso® Black Beans
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped lettuce
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. To the hot oil, add the jalapenos, bell peppers, onions, and garlic and cook until tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Fold in the black beans, taco seasoning and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, packet of taco sauce, brown sugar, and Worcestershire and simmer the mixture for a few minutes to combine the flavors.
- Squeeze the lime juice into the pan and stir. Serve the mixture in hard shells with chopped lettuce and salsa.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g