These Vegan Sugar cookies are gluten-free, dairy-free sugar cookies just in time for the holidays.
Recently my niece and I decided to try to find vegan sugar cookie recipes for our favorite Christmas cookies. When you have spent your whole life cooking with one set of ingredients, it is a journey to discover what works when you replace them. We both have been interested in seeing could we recreate favorites to be gluten and diary free.
I pulled out a recipe I had seen by Sweet Laurel, a bakery in Pacific Palisades, specializing in whole foods bakery goods. They have a great cookbook to get you started. It is a grain-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free bakery. We used the cookie recipe but subbed out their frosting for our Vegan Coconut Buttercream Frosting.
We had rave reviews from family members on these cookies. It was a good solid alternative to mainstream sugar cookies. If you are making changes in your eating, moving towards gluten and dairy-free baking, you will be pleased with the results. It’s nice to have an alternative for making sugar cookies at the holidays.
This recipe uses almond flour in the place of all-purpose and coconut butter in the place of butter. I don’t mind the taste of coconut but it might not be for everyone. You could substitute a vegan butter like Earth Balance.
Tips for Vegan Baking
- Sifting the almond flour will produce a smoother, clump-free flour. You might need a little more than called for to produce a dough you can roll out.
- We rolled out between two sheets of parchment paper, gently transferred to cookie sheet and refrigerated for 30 minute before cutting out the cookies.
- Before they go into the oven I placed them in the refrigerator again for 15 minutes. This helps them retain their shape.
Ingredients for Gluten-free, Dairy-free Sugar Cookies
- Coconut Butter – is whipped up from pure, dried coconut flesh, producing a super-rich and creamy spread. It’s also loaded with nourishing fats, fiber, and protein.
- Coconut Oil – is an alternative to butter and shortening for baking
- Almond Flour – I like Bob’s Mill Super Fine Ground
- Vanilla Extract – Use the best you can, it does make a difference.
- Almond Extract – paired with vanilla almond extract adds a richness of flavor to your cookies.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #advinthekitchen on Instagram.
Vegan Sugar Christmas Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup 100 % maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 recipe Vegan Buttercream
- Place ingredients in a food processor. Combine the ingredients into a dough. The dough will be slightly clumpy, so do not fret if the dough doesn’t look like traditional cookie dough.
- Between two pieces of parchment paper, roll out the dough. During this stage, the dough will join together. Place the parchment paper with rolled out dough in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to firm up. Remove from the refrigerator and cut into shapes.
- Carefully transfer cutouts to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper using a spatula. Place cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, until barely golden brown at the edges. Cool completely, and decorate with icing.