Our journey to making vegan sugar cookies for Christmas included the challenge of how to make vegan buttercream frosting. We ended up using making a vegan coconut buttercream frosting which paired well with our cookies.
Ingredients Needed For Vegan Coconut Buttercream Frosting
To make a vegan coconut buttercream frosting you need to add a few things to your pantry.
- Coconut Butter - is made from raw dried shredded coconut. It is a delicious blend that can be used in place of butter for baking. I used the Marantha brand but have also tried the Activa brand.
- Coconut Milk
- Maple Syrup - you could substitute coconut sugar if you prefer
- Powdered Sugar
Tips for Vegan Baking
I am learning that in vegan baking you look at the bowl and think this will never work, yet somehow it does. The textures are different and it takes a little practice, trial and error to find what works for you.
Softened the coconut butter by placing it in a glass bowl and microwave in a minute or 30-second intervals, but be careful not to overheat.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #advinthekitchen on Instagram.
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk of coconut milk, or other nut milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a small bowl, cream the coconut butter until smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes, with a hand blender on high speed.
- Add half the confectioner's sugar, half the milk, and all the vanilla and lemon juice. Combine on medium speed with the hand blender until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Blend in the remaining confectioner's sugar in ¼ cup increments, until you get the desired results. Blend in more milk to thin out, as necessary.
- Divide into bowls, color and frost.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g