This honey basil vinaigrette is everything. Basil, lemon, and honey make it a versatile salad dressing, dipping sauce, and much more.
This vinaigrette is on steady rotation in my kitchen, but this spring, I paired it with my Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers. It was an amazing combination.
A very long time ago, my friend Tracy and I attended cooking classes at William Sonoma. One of the salads we made became a staple in my house. I have tweaked it a bit, and been using it ever since. The salad was a Mango and Red Onion Salad with a Honey Basil Vinaigrette. This salad is a super popular dish in my cooking classes. It is so versatile and can be used year-round.
Homemade salad dressings are easy to make and you can customize. It takes minutes to whip up a jar of your favorite dressing. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week. I like less oil and more vinegar with a touch of brown sugar or honey.
The basil and honey created a fresh sauce that becomes a dipping sauce with the grilled chicken. Add a little rice or roasted potatoes and you have a satisfying dinner.
Tips for making Honey Basil Vinaigrette
- Use a blender or food processor to get a smooth consistency.
- Add the basil at the very end and just pulse.
- Make a day ahead
- Change the vinegar – try red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Cut the honey for a more savory dressing
- Add red pepper flakes for a little kick.
Each week I whip up a batch of this to use on salads or with grilled chicken and veggies. Make a salad with fresh corn and tomatoes or during the summer one with fresh peaches, goat cheese, and marcona almonds. The possibilities are endless.
Honey Basil Vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup Champagne Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oi
- l1/4 cup + 2 tbsp honey
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- 2 tbsp fresh sweet basil chopped
- In a blender, add all ingredients except the basil. Process until smooth. Add sweet basil and pulse only until basil is blended into dressing. Pour into a jar or a bowl and cover. Refrigerate until ready to use.