These grilled lemon chicken skewers have quickly become a year-round favorite! They’re easy and flavor-packed, totally kid-friendly, and perfect for weeknight dinners, barbecues, summer parties, and so much more. Serve them with my honey basil vinaigrette for a crowd-pleasing combo.
My dinner parties have been limited to the family in this season. Last summer, before they went back to Texas. I hosted my niece, mother, nephew, and his girlfriend for dinner. Gathering people around the table is my favorite thing to do and honestly, one of the things I miss most. These days they limit your time to 1 ½ hours when you dine outside and for now, gone are the days of long dinner parties.
One of the entrees I served, grilled lemon chicken skewers, is from my cooking class menus. They have become a weekly rotation because:
- You can prep the night before
- Food on a stick is always more fun
- Flavor packed with lemon, garlic, and herbs
- Gluten and dairy-free
These skewers are similar to ones I made when I had a catering company. I would make mini skewers and serve them in a plastic cup with peanut sauce on the bottom. They were the hit of outdoor garden parties and more! You could easily do the same with them and the honey basil vinaigrette.
How to make grilled chicken skewers
Cut up the chicken in cubes. In the recipe I call for chicken breasts but chicken thighs work well too.
Place wooden skewers in a pan of water and let soak 30 minutes to prevent burning on the grill.
Mix the marinade and place it in a plastic bag or container. Add the chicken and let marinate overnight or for an hour before cooking. The longer the marinade the better the flavor.
Equipment You Need
Honestly, you can make this without any special equipment, though you will need wooden or steel skewers. I use plastic bags to marinate but these two things make it easier:
- Blender for the vinaigrette
- Indoor Grill - I love this smokeless one that is so easy to clean.
Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 lemon cut into wedges/sliced for serving
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 ¼-inch cube
- Combine the seasoning, olive oil red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, oregano, garlic, and lemon juice in a bowl; whisk to combine. Add in the chicken. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
Prepare grill over medium-high heat. Thread chicken pieces on skewers, dividing equally. Discard marinade in the bowl.
Grill chicken until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer skewers to platter. Serve with basil vinaigrette and extra lemon wedges.