One of our popular cooking class dishes featuring grilled asparagus served with a romesco sauce. So good, they will soak up the rest of the sauce with crusty bread.
- 2 dried ancho chile soaked in water for 30 minutes, drained, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup crustless sourdough bread, cut into cubes
- 9 medium plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3–4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red chiles, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 5 lbs asparagus, ends trimmed off
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Coarse sea salt and black pepper
- Place all ingredients for the romesco sauce in a small bowl, along with 1 teaspoon of salt and a good grind of black pepper. Transfer to a food processor and blitz to form a paste. Place in a small plan and warm through just before serving.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil and add the asparagus. Blanch for 1-2 minutes, until a dente, then drain and refresh under cold water. Set aside to dry.
- Place a ridged grill pan over high heat. Toss the asparagus with the olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt and grill for 1-2 minutes so both sides get scorched. Plate the asparagus, either on a bed of the romesco sauce or with the sauce on the side, and drizzle the balsamic mix over the asparagus. Wonderful served with grilled shrimp or chicken.
Recipe based on a recipe in NOPI cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi
- Serving Size: 1 grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
Keywords: grill, asparagus, romesco sauce