It is no secret that I love spicy foods. Recently I wrote an article over at Coupons.com sharing how spicy foods can speed up your metabolism. It reminded me of an amazing soup we make in our Knives Skills Cooking Class. If you like it hot you will love this Skinny African Peanut Chicken Soup.
It was a class hit, but we had to win them over. Some times people roll their eyes in a bit of disdain when we first discussed it and then they tried it. Hands down it was their favorite soup of the evening.
Flavors of curry, coriander and cayenne mix with the readiness of coconut milk and peanut butter. I used reduced fat. Though it has 9 Weight Watchers points, it is super high in protein and very filling. You can adjust the heat by adding a little less cayenne and then taste. I cool it off with a tablespoon of greek yogurt.
What is your favorite soup this season? I am always on the hunt for something new to try!
Are you following us on Facebook? Be the first to know about class discounts and upcoming events.
Skinny African Peanut Soup
- Skinny African Peanut Soup Good Stuff exclusive
- 1 tablespoon canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 3 - 4 cups low salt chicken broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup low fat peanut butter preferably natural
- 1 lb. cooked chicken chopped or shredded into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup scallions thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 large handful cilantro chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped peanuts optional
- Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat. Add canola oil and sauce onion until soft. Add garlic and ginger, cook for 1-2 minutes. Add curry powder, cayenne, and coriander and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes and little more salt. Stir together and simmer for 30 minutes, keeping the soup below a boil.
- Put 1 cup of soup and the peanut butter in a blender and puree. Add back into the soup, stir and add chopped chicken sliced scallions to the soup. When ready to serve, remove from the heat. Ladle into bowls and top each with chopped peanuts and cilantro.