Cooking for me is an expression of love. It is part of who I am. Last year I forgot that for a little while and as part of my Savoring Life in 2014 I am rediscovering what it means to me.
A few weeks ago I was making plans to meet someone for coffee and thought I should invite her over. So I did. I made a simple meal of soup and salad.
I set the table with a little old and a little new. The little yellow birdcages were from the $1 aisle at Michael’s. I put out my favorite spring table runner that is bright and colorful. I put a few simple flowers in a vase from the Target $1 aisle.
I pulled out the yellow plates I bought many years ago at a flea market. They are soft yellow Fiesta ware and make me smile. When I was in my twenties I was roommates with my dear friend, Deanna. We shared a love of antiques and entertaining. Together we threw dinner parties and encouraged each other in our adventures in cooking. “There’s always pizza ” was our motto. In the end I don’t believe we ever had to order it!
Food nourishes our bodies, we need it to fuel us for the day. It also has the power to nourish our souls. When we stop and take the time to gather around the table and share from our heart.
This Mexican Corn Bruschetta is one of my favorite appetizers these days. It takes that delicious street corn from Mexico and captures those flavors in one bruschetta bite. This picture is from a gathering we had last year that involved a little cooking and lots of fun!
Who have you been putting off inviting over? Make that call today, you won’t regret it!
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices of ciabatta bread
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup crema mexicana or sour cream
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta
- Lime wedge
- Cilantro leaves
- Chili powder
- Rub corn with vegetable oil. Season corn with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper; grill until slightly charred and tender. Slice corn off the cob in wide strips.
- Grill bread slices and rub with garlic clove.
- Mix Crema Mexicana or sour cream with feta.
- Smear toasts with crema mixture. Top crema with grilled corn. Squeeze a lime wedge over each. Garnish with cilantro leaves and sprinkle with chili powder..
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g