I have had the pleasure of working with Mountain High Yoghurt to develop several recipes. This last year I discovered how easy it is to reduce the fat in your favorite dishes by substituting yogurt. Substitute cream or butter for equal amounts of yogurt and you have a healthy alternative.
Spicy Penne All Vodka is one of those dishes men seem to love. Who am I kidding, I love it too! Probably because of all the heavy cream, making it rich and decadent. I discovered that you can achieve that same creamy spicy taste while cutting the fat content significantly. I substituted the cream for Mountain High Yoghurt’s. I used the plain yoghurt for this dish. Many times I use the Vanilla when I am baking. It is creamy and adds a rich taste to my recipes.
This is one of my new favorite recipes. I ate leftovers for several days, it heats up nicely.
Penne Alla Vodka can be made in about 20 minutes. The key is to gather all your ingredients and prep before you start.
First, saute’ the garlic and red chile pepper flakes in olive oil. Add a can of crushed tomatoes and the vodka. The vodka helps bring out the flavors of the tomatoes. Let cook for ten minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
Take 1/2 cup of the sauce and stir it into Mountain High Yoghurt to temper it. Then stir the yogurt mixture into the tomato sauce.
Add in the penne pasta and stir to coat. Let the pasta absorb the sauce for a minute or two. Sprinkle with basil and Parmesan cheese.
If you are looking for more recipes featuring Mountain High Yoghurt visit their site. They have hundred’s of recipes to inspire you.
I was compensated for my time but my opinions are all mine.
- 1 pound whole grain penne pasta, cooked al dente
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 cup Mountain High Yogurt Lowfat Plain
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a skillet large enough to hold the pasta later on, combine the oil, garlic, crushed pepper and a pinch of salt. Cook, shaking the skillet, until the garlic is lightly browned. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Pour in the vodka, lower the heat and simmer until the pasta is ready. Remove from heat. Scoop 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce and add to the yogurt. Add yogurt mixture to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Add the drained pasta to the skillet with the tomato sauce. Let the pasta absorb the sauce for a minute, before serving. Sprinkle the basil and parmesan cheese and serve in bowls.
Adjust the heat of the sauce by increasing or decreasing the red pepper flakes. Let the pasta absorb the sauce for a minute or so before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 601mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 11g