Mad Men is back this week! Is anyone having a Mad Men party? I should have some crazy retro recipe but instead I have these luscious and light Honey Grapefruit Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream.
Remember the honey from my niece’s birthday party? Well, I thought I would bake something with it. I love this honey. I have been completely spoiled by this amazing honey. If you have never tried local honey go out to your local farmers market and try it.
These cupcakes are more of a pound cake consistency but the yogurt makes them moist and the grapefruit and honey turned out to be a nice combination. I whipped up a buttercream frosting with honey and grapefruit juice. I finished them off with a little drizzle of honey on top of the frosting.
Honey Grapefruit Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces plain non fat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated grapefruit zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
For the honey buttercream:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line muffin pan with liners. I used two to keep the outside looking good.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. Whisk together the yogurt, sugar, honey, eggs, grapefruit zest, and vanilla. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil and grapefruit juice into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated. Pour the batter into the muffin tins and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, mix the honey buttercream ingredients together.
- When the cupcakes are done, allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan.
- For the frosting, combine the ingredients until thick and smooth. Place in a baggie, snip off the corner and pipe until each cupcake.