This Italian Stuffed Flank Steak is one of our most popular cooking class recipes. It is versatile, easy to make and you can prep ahead of time.
Hands down this is one of our most loved recipes. Our Italian Stuffed Flank Steak recipe is easy to make and perfect for dinner parties. You can make this ahead of time and you can put in the oven when your guests arrive. It is versatile because you change-up the stuffing:
- Spanish – chorizo, Manchebo cheese
- Mexican – green chiles, Cotijo cheese, jalapeno’s and serve with salsa
- Pizza – Pepperoni, mozzarella and serve with Pizza Sauce – a kids fav
Flank steak is a lean but juicy cut of steak. It is often used as a sub for skirt steak in fajita recipes and is great grilled or roasted. If you don’t see it at your store, ask your butcher. I find they often have it, but you have to ask for it. One steak will feed 3-4 people.
How To Make Our Italian Stuffed Flank Steak
I think it is best marinated for a few hours put to overnight. We pound it out between sheets of plastic wrap. This tenderizes and prepares the steak to stuff and roll. Score one side but do not go all the way through. This make it easier to roll.
Layer you ingredients down the center of the steak. Here we have provolone cheese, roasted red peppers, basil and peppers.
Take one end and go over the stuffing, grab and roll over. Place the ends flat down on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
Use kitchen twine and tie 3 to 4 times to hold in place. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the desired temperature. Serve this Italian Stuffed Flank Steak with your favorite sauce. We have a Roasted Red Pepper sauce I will be sharing next week, that is delicious!
If you make this, let us know either in the comments or tag us in a photo on Instagram.
Italian Stuffed Flank Steak
- 1 1/2 pounds ?ank steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, (1/2 cup) or provolone cheese slices
- 4 scallions, sliced (1/3 cup)
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) roasted red peppers, cut into thin strips
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with rack in center. Between two sheets of plastic wrap, pound steak to 1/2-inch thickness with a meat mallet or heavy skillet. Using a sharp knife, score the steak on one side in a cross-hatched pattern. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and garlic. Marinate at least 20 minutes or up to overnight.
- Remove steak from marinade. Lay steak on cutting board, scored side down, with a short end facing edge of work surface. Cover steak with cheese, scallions, and peppers, leaving 1/2-inch border on the long sides and 2-inch border at the far short end. Season with salt and pepper. Starting from closest side, roll up tightly. Using kitchen twine, tie steak crosswise. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place, seam side down in a baking dish or on a rimmed baking sheet, and roast until juices run clear, 35 to 40 minutes for medium rare. Let rest 10 minutes, and remove string before slicing.