After all the Super Bowl indulging something healthy is on the menu! My favorite go to take out meal is from Waba Grill. They serve fresh teriyaki chicken bowls. When I saw this Lemon Teriyaki recipe from this months Cooking Light I knew I had to try it. Teriyaki Sauce is super easy to make and tastes much better than the bottled stuff. I find the addition of lemon cuts through the sweetness giving it a nice tang.
I was so happy with this recipe. I love that I can make my own takeout bowl and customize with my favorite veggies. Make a big bowl of rice to have for the week, a batch of the sauce and pre-cut all the veggies. That way when you come home tired from work, you can whip together a healthy dinner.
Valentine’s Day is coming and we have a great Date Night class on the calendar that would be the perfect gift. It is Steakhouse night with a fun menu. You can register here.
Also, we will be offering kids cooking camps this summer, so be on the lookout for the schedule.
Lemon Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 - 1 cup veggies (broccoli, red pepper, onions)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook brown rice according to directions.
- Combine soy sauce and cornstarch in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Add brown sugar, mirin, and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thickened. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes. Turn; drizzle 1 tablespoon soy sauce mixture over chicken.
- Place pan in oven; bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until done. Place chicken on a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Cut chicken into slices. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add veggies; cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Place 1/2 cup rice in each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 4 ounces chicken and 4 ounces veggies. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon remaining soy sauce mixture over each serving.