Savor Sunday #1: Pecan Oat Crusted French Toast with Apples
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup low-fat
- 1easpoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- Grate a little nutmeg over the batter
- 1 cup oatmeal (I used Quaker Oats )
- 1 cup pecans
- 8 thick slices of french bread*
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 apples, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg. together in a bowl. Then mix the oats and pecans on a plate. Heat a large saucepan or griddle and coat with a little butter or oil. Dip both sides of each bread slice in the egg mixture and then coat them with oats & pecans. Cook until browned and then flip over, about a minute or two per side.
- In a large skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add apples. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Cook, stirring constantly, until apples are almost tender, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Serve with two pieces of french toast, topped with apples. Drizzle with maple syrup.
Recipe by Adventures in the Kitchen Cooking Classes at http://adventuresinthekitchen.com/2014/02/savor-sunday-1-pecan-oat-crusted-french-toast-apples/